Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Spirit

I pluck the baubles from the tree that's living in our room.
I strip away the lights and watch the gloom creep back into the corner.
I'll miss the flickering glow that lit our winter afternoons.

I wish the light could linger longer, make the magic last.
But on the sixth, tradition says, the season ends, the spirit fades,
We pack the holiday away and put it in the loft.

And under the weight of a January sky
we carry our wilted tree outside.
The ghost of Christmas, passed.

1 comment:

steven.nash82 said...

lol - love it! This exactly the image I have when folks talk about christmas spirit because I'm such a miserable git : )

Tis a perfect little nugget of melancholia my friend. A lovely little snowball of glum and gloom, perfect for this rainy cold Saturday.

Nice work and happy new year poet
x